: Client of The Griffin Groupe Executive Search
: Port Hueneme – Oxnard, CA, Port Benicia – Benicia, CA & Port of Stockton - Stockton, CA
: Full Time
: Transportation/ Marine Cargo
: $110k DOE
The Griffin Groupe is searching for safety professionals for a premier client in the transportation and marine cargo industry. Ideal candidates must be safety experts with maritime experience.
We believe safety cannot be influenced from behind a desk. This position is in the field working alongside management to ensure safety risks are identified and procedure-based countermeasures to manage risks are present and functioning to effectively manage safety risks. No more than 40% of time, position is responsible for reporting. It is a continuous auditing. It is operational based meaning that when the ships are at birth working, the SSE position will be on birth making sure the operations runs safety. The position interacts with union and nonunion labor. Organizational points of focus are below. Our client’s safety management system is EHS insights which will capture reporting.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
POINT OF FOCUS- ENVIRONMENTAL
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, with a concentration in occupational safety, industrial hygiene or safety related field. Extensive experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of five years of safety, security and environmental management in positions of responsibility, preferably in the marine and logistical environment.
- Must have been responsible for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of multi-site maritime safety, security and environmental programs.
- CSP (Certified Safety Professional) or equivalent certifications
POINT OF FOCUS- SAFETY
- Incidents of noncompliance (PINC) with environmental regulations
- 1)Total energy consumed, (2) percentage heavy fuel oil, (3) Energy percentage derived from renewable.
- (UOM gigajoules)
- Gallons of oil recycled
- Number of batteries recycled
- Reduced plastic consumables
- Loss of Primary Containment (LOPC) Incidents
- Consolidated LTIR rate per 200,000 manhours
- Near Miss Reporting 100 Incidents Documented & Reviewed
- Leadership site engagements (LSEs)
- Internal SSE audits
- 85% of audit findings & alike with risk as medium or high closed within 30 days
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Responsible for developing and implementing safety procedures and programs to drive results within the region.
- Assist in reducing employee risk by planning and executing safety strategies. Promote a behavioral based safety environment.
- Feed data to support established key performance indicators.
- Plan, develop, implement and manage health and safety programs and performance in the workplace.
- Investigate all incidents to determine root cause and identify corrective actions to prevent re-occurrence.
- Develop Safety Alerts to share with the organization based upon incident investigations.
- Monitor performance against targets at the regional level.
- Maintain accident statistics, analyze trends for the region and propose and take remedial action where necessary.
- Facilitate all incidents and near-misses to be investigated, train employees on how to prepare report of findings, including recommendations to prevent recurrence and implement approved course of action.
- Partner collaboratively with business leaders in each location generating progressive cultural evolution and provide leadership in training our leaders in determining root cause analysis and corrective actions during investigations of safety incidents.
- Maintain a working knowledge of SSE-related regulatory requirements.
- Provide leadership and education for assigned locations in incident free culture and assume personal responsibility for safe work practices in all operations.
- Conduct safety, environmental awareness and security compliance training for staff at assigned locations, and overseeing local safety, security and environmental personnel (FSO’s/etc.).
- Address and defend procedures and actions before OSHA inspectors or other state and federal government officials. Correspond with the authorities to reduce or eliminate fines for perceived violations.
- Responsible for providing detailed written reports on safety, environmental and security audits.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the Business Continuity Plan (BCP) for assigned locations.
- Support Operations in all matters related to Safety, Security, and Environment.
- Works independently on a daily basis providing quality reports, analysis and policies in Safety.
- Daily interaction with managers, staff, and auditors. Periodic interaction with local emergency response groups and regulatory agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety or related field or equivalent experience
- CSP (Certified Safety Professional) or equivalent certifications strongly preferred
- Strong leadership and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects
- Proven track record of driving cultural change in Safety
- Ability to effectively present information to senior management
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Able to maintain confidentiality in matters involving security and/or personnel issues
- Excellent leadership, coaching, and mentoring skills.
- Proven experience and success in implementing and monitoring a multi-site Environmental Management Systems.
- Strong working knowledge of Hazardous Material Handling in a transportation and maritime environment.
- Knowledge of general computer applications (Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, etc.)
- Detail oriented and able to multi-task in a fast-paced operational environment.
- Familiarity with established maritime safety programs, as well as applicable ISO programs.
- Experience with the USCG conducting marine facility inspections.
- Familiarity with relevant CFR’s.