Manager Occupational Health & Safety
*Relocation assistance is offered for experienced candidates.
Manager Occupational Health & Safety
The Griffin Groupe is searching for CSP certified (and related) safety professionals to our client’s team in the energy industry.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- 10+ years safety experience
- 5+ years of demonstrated leadership experience
- Utility or process industry experience
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety or equivalent
- Possess a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification or equivalent
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- A subject matter expert on all aspects of safety management
- Focused on continuing education on regulatory issues and compliance
The following is a list of major duties and responsibilities for this position along with certain supportive duties. It is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be added as needed and in addition; and, management may modify this job description as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Communication – Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to the audience and the message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
- Strategy – Creates competitive and breakthrough strategies that show a clear connection between vision and action. Develops enterprise-wide strategy, work plans and goals for OUR CLIENT’S to meet the organizations’ health and safety objectives through a collaborative approach with senior management and supervisors and all levels of employees to support and deliver on OUR CLIENT’S’s core values and strategic directives related to employee health and safety.
- Leadership - Provides leadership and direction to support operations of the Occupational Health and Safety function including budget administration, team development, incident reviews, resource allocation, and operational support of occupational health and safety programs and services. Establishes common objectives and a shared mindset and creates a feeling of belonging and strong team morale. Shares win and rewards team efforts, foster open dialogue and collaboration among OUR CLIENT’S Safety and work group teams.
- Drives Results – Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing safety program objectives by integrating measurable strategies through the adoption of strong communication, developing partnerships, evaluating data trends, and developing metrics/key performance indicators to track the successes and effectiveness of programs and benchmark against other electrical utilities.
- Customer Focus – Gains insight into customer needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer. Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations.
- Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Compliance - Acts as subject matter expert on the topics of occupational safety, electrical safety, OSHA and Cal/OSHA compliance, injury and accident prevention, risk reduction, record keeping, behavior-based safety, training development programs, functional muscular screening, contractor and public safety.
- Employee and Community Engagement - Serves as OUR CLIENT’S’s professional expert in litigation, arbitration, etc. for Health and Safety standards and practices. Participates and assists in leading OUR CLIENT’S safety subcommittees and teams, serves on external safety committees and task forces with other utilities, government agencies, industrial representatives, and the public as OUR CLIENT’S’s program representative.
- 10+ years of comprehensive, documented safety and auditing experience in construction and/ or occupational safety
- Experience in the utility, electric (nuclear generation) or gas industry preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, Physical Sciences, Environmental Sciences or related
- Masters degree a plus
- Must possess one or more professional safety certifications such as: Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Operational Health and Safety Technician (OHST), Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Demonstrated broad understanding of safety and health field (e.g. emerging technologies, industry standards system designs and integration of safety processes)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with a management team to implement safety programs, developing plans and creating a culture that values safety.
- Demonstrated ability to assert authority and take leadership on safety issues as needed.
- Experience in working with multiple locations having diverse processes, products and business systems
- Demonstrated experience in interfacing and reporting to upper management
- Must be able to prepare clear, comprehensive and concise technical reports for effective communication with a variety of internal and external entities.
- Proficiency in utilization of MS Office software including MS Word and Excel.
- Excellent written communication skills
keywords: safety engineer, safety professional, Safety Manager/Trainer (SPS/STS), Certified Safety Auditor (SAC), Certified Safety Manager (CSM), Advanced Safety Paradigm (ASP/CSC), Integrated Safety Management (ISM), Certified Safety Administrator (CSA), Master Safety Administrator (MSA), Licensed Safety Professional (LSP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)